May 2018

May 2018

Monday, September 11, 2017

Too Much

All weekend it was hard for me to pull myself away from the weather channel. There are no words to describe the full impact Irma has had and will have on most Americans. The damage will cripple the economy of the entire nation for a very long time.

Florida is a vacation destination not just for many Americans but also for tourists worldwide. For our family, Orlando and Sanibel Island are annual destinations. As Disney Vacation Club members, my daughter's family visits the parks 2-3 times a year. And my husband and I spend a week on Sanibel Island every summer with my daughter's family.

Needless to say, I was extremely relieved this morning to learn Irma had suddenly gone inland at the point it was previously expected to slam Sanibel Island. What I've been able to uncover so far is the island sustained minimal damage, most of which was downed trees. The causeway was inspected and cleared this morning and will reopen tomorrow.

Unfortunately, however, Irma's turn caused a direct hit on Orlando. The full extent of the damage has not yet been revealed. But at least Orlando will not have to worry about storm surge since it's a land-locked city.

Frankly I just don't know how to process all the recent natural disasters, the fires out west, the earthquake in Mexico, and the hurricanes in the south. It's all just too much.


1 comment:

Rita said...

I know what you mean! So much going on with the country and now add on the weather all over the world. Kind of overwhelming.

I'm so glad that Irma wasn't as strong as they first thought. She has done enough damage, though. Now clean up after the second big hurricane already this season. Whew!