May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Lab Results

My doctor requests a Complete Metabolic Panel as well as a Lipid Panel every six months. My most recent blood draw was this past Tuesday and I got the results today.

All my numbers were great except for a low sodium level. Not to worry and we'll just keep an eye on it. It was suspected it might be due to the diurectic in my statin. But, since I've been on Crestor for decades, I'm not buying that theory. My immediate thought was I'm drinking too much water.

Earlier this year I began drinking two to three times more water. Previously, I never took in the "recommended" amount and decided that needed to change. I was thrilled with the results. Gone was the leg pain I suffered every time I got up from sitting. It was amazing!

But now I suspect I might be over doing it. After getting the results, I immediately did some online research and here's an example of what I found: Risk of Drinking Too Much Water. Interesting stuff, especially the part about – ". . .if you feel bloated or have actually put on weight based on how much water you consumed, that also indicates you drank too much."

Over the last several months I've been bloated more than I remember ever being in my entire life. I've also been putting on weight despite counting calories and working out. May not be related to my water consumption, but it's certainly something to consider. Could it be "too much of a good thing" also applies to water?

Another number that caused me pause was my total cholesterol. It's currently at an all time low of 162. So, for me anyway, bacon is not the enemy. As part of my high-protein low-carb diet, I've consumed more bacon in the last 10 weeks than I did during all of the previous 12 months.

It's been a good day health wise. I even dared to weigh myself this morning to find I had dropped two pounds. Could be short lived, but right now I'm enjoying the moment :)


2 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad I found your blog and look forward to following your health journey. We share some things in common, but we also have some different issues. I agree with the concept of moderation. Even water can be over-done. Too much cheese seems to raise my bad cholesterol, so I try to keep that in check. I love bacon! :)

Rita said...

Figures. Even too much water is a bad thing.
I've been pushing myself with the sewing project and am foggier brained then usual--can't remember why you have to go back every six months?? At least it sounded like things were basically good. Hurray!
I need to head for bed early and hope I sleep well. Family visit tomorrow. ;)