May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Eating Low Carb Is Not Easy

Since Tuesday I've lowered my carb intake by half. That means my diet has been higher protein with less fruit and even more vegatables. I know it's only been five days, but this seems to be working. In that short span I've dropped 3.5 pounds.

Granted I've also been taking in 225 fewer calories daily, dropping from a previous goal of 1675 to my current target of 1450. But I've been on this weight-loss journey long enough to know my recent success is primarily due to eating low carb.

Thank goodness for the motivation of having lost weight, because backing off carbs has not been easy. I miss fixing dinners with noodles and pizza shells, which was my go-to for using a lot of vegetables.

After some research, my top low-carb dinners for the past week included cauliflower rice and butter chicken. Here's a shot of my cauliflower rice served with half an avocado and skinless-boneless chicken breast slow-cooked in the crockpot with salsa:


The cauliflower rice was delicious but the smell was almost unbearable. Hubby said it was worth the smell, but I'm not sure.

By far my favorite protein of the week was the butter chicken. I forgot to take a picture, but click here for the recipe. It was super easy to make and turned out incredibly moist with a nice crunch. Keep in mind low-protein diets are also higher in fat.

This week I plan to do something with spiralized zucchini. I've heard it's a nice substitute for noodles. We'll see. At least it shouldn't smell as bad as the cauliflower rice!




1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh Man! Kudos to you!! Carbs are super hard for me--I love everything from the pasta and rice to the bread and potatoes. And eating cheaply is much easier when you eat those things. But that's exciting you're losing weight already. I agree--it is probably because of the low carb diet. Good for you. Let me know how the spiralized zucchini tastes and if it is easy to cook. I've heard of that, too. :)