May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Intermittent Fasting – Update #1

I didn't plan, or expect to feel the need, to post an update this soon about the new eating pattern I started last Tuesday night. But I've been so surprised by Intermittent Fasting, I wanted to share.

First, and primarily, since starting the program I've been sleeping deeper and longer with no supplement, such as melatonin or Benadryl, than I can remember ever doing in my entire life. I've literally been sleeping 8-9 hours straight and waking refreshed. My belief is this blissful sleep pattern is due to my body no longer having to exert energy all night to digest food. Did you know it takes 8-12 hours for your body to fully digest any amount of food? Amazing!

Second, I'm not at all anxious about feeling hungry or making certain I eat enough before fasting begins. Truth is, like many of the articles I read about IF, I now appreciate being less stressed about food. I simply make healthy chooses (more proteins, fewer carbs, little-to-no sugar) during my eating window and don't fixate on calories. Then, when fasting begins between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM, I no longer have to think about food, which is a big relief. And, surprisingly, I don't feel hungry during my 14-16 hour fast.

Finally, I don't feel I've lost any weight because my clothes are still fitting the same. (I don't use a scale anymore.) I'm not surprised by this because it's been incredibly difficult for me to lose weight since turning 60 nearly six years ago. No matter, I'm quickly becoming sold on Intermittent Fasting as a beneficial lifestyle. But, of course, I am still hopeful some weight loss might eventual happen ;)

(Here's another article about IF I found helpful – Intermittent Fasting Benefits.)


1 comment:

Rita said...

That's a cool side effect! Sleep!
Be interested to hear your updates. :)