May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Fun Illinois Weekend

Hubby and I drove to the Chicago area last Friday and returned yesterday. On Saturday we did the Holiday House Tour in Geneva, IL with my niece and sister. On Sunday hubby and I spent the day downtown, enjoying the holiday decorations, visiting the Christkindl Market, and checking out the Cloud Gate in Millennium park.

My niece, Margaret, and sister, Nancy,
in front of a Geneva shop.
All weekend the weather was perfect for walking outdoors with winter coats, upper 30s and low 40s with full sun. Unfortunately, many others thought so too. On Sunday the crowds were extremely heavy everywhere we went. At the Market it was shoulder-to-shoulder and I'm glad the grandsons weren't with us. They would have been miserable, and I would have been majorly stressed keeping track of them.

Nevertheless hubby and I had fun. It had been a long time since we'd been to Chicago and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy big cities. There's a special energy I feel walking among the skyscrapers. And I enjoy the plethora of stores and restaurants big cities offer. Even though I do very little shopping anymore, and can't eat much no matter how hard I try.

In summary, it was great to getaway for a few days, spend time outdoors, enjoy holiday activities, and visit with my niece and sister. Holiday fun with no need to cook, clean, or decorate!

For us, the best part of the Christkindl Market
was the opportunity to try authentic German food.
I loved looking at all the nutcrackers
at the Market.
The breathtaking tree in Macy's
Walnut Room.
The Cloud Gate behind the ice skating
rink, which was packed except when
the Zamboni was running.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh wow! Yes, glad you just had each other and no little ones to worry about in such crowds. Looks like a wonderful getaway. :) Glad you had a safe trip and the weather wasn't too bad.