May 2018

May 2018

Friday, October 9, 2015

What a Week!

The holiday season has started, which means family drama has returned. Granted most of these happenings could have occurred any time of the year, but they didn't.

First, I learned my son, his wife, and their Korean 20-year-old roommate are joining us for Thanksgiving. Bless my daughter, because our visitors will be staying at her new very large home. However, I'll be serving Thanksgiving dinner, as usual, now serving 10 instead of seven. But I'm determined to keep things simple. Not sure how my son will take not having mashed potatoes, which I haven't included in my Thanksgiving menu for many years now. Oh well, his doctor recently told him to lose 30 pounds anyway.

Then, this past Tuesday, I dragged dad to a meeting with his lawyer. It's been five years since Rudy helped us place mom on Medicaid while securing dad's financial future. But dad's recently been making some decisions that would make dispersing his estate much more complicated than need be. Turns out I was right and Rudy is now putting together a trust and will for dad. Plus, we learned about a new annuity offering in the state of Missouri that would pay for dad's long-term care, should he need it, without spending down his savings.

All good stuff, but dad made me pay the $1,650 fee because "it was my idea." I can't describe how sad,  mad, and disappointed I was, especially knowing dad can easily afford the fee. Fortunately, the next day he called and asked if I could wait until December to be paid back. He decided it was his responsibility. Duh! Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride!

But, before dad's call, I was dealing with brother's craziness. For an extremely stupid reason, Kevin doesn't like Rudy. However, he's been pushing dad to make a will for years. Like I said – craziness!

And just to make things even more interesting, I learned one of my nephews is moving to South Korea next month. And, unfortunately, he will not be living near my daughter-in-law's family who would love to welcome him and help in anyway they can. My sister's a wreck and I completely understand.

Here's hoping the weekend is down right boring!


1 comment:

Rita said...

OMG!! Talk about everything happening at once! Good grief!
Well, I think you should just keep Thanksgiving the way you've been doing it the past few years and stick with the simpler is better plan.

My family will be here tomorrow. Just going to make it through that visit and collapse. My place is all put together and I am just waiting for the chair and end table to be delivered tonight. Family coming gave me a deadline--stressful, but now I am glad it is done-done-done!!

I sure hope it all goes well for you--for Thanksgiving and Christmas. :) :)