May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Home Safe Home

Outside The Mucky Duck Captiva
(Elliott 9 and Jonah 5)
We returned yesterday from our annual beach vacation with my daughter's family. For the last seven years we've spent one week each summer in the same beautiful condo on Sanibel Island. Although the lodging is always the same, each year's experience is different mostly due to the weather and maturity level of each of the grandsons.

This year we dealt with a great deal of rain. In fact, the first two days were filled with nothing but showers and thunderstorms. Nevertheless, we still had fun taking nature drives; visiting museums and the library; shopping; watching movies; and reading.

But I'm assuming all the rain was why the no-see-ums seemed especially bad this year. I was bit no matter where we went on the island, indoors or out. (Fortunately, the rest of the family doesn't attract them as badly as I do.) And, as a result, I spent very little time on the beach.

While the family was on the beach, however, I enjoyed quiet time away from the boys. I keep hoping each year will be easier than the last but, so far, each year is just more challenging. This trip there was constant arguing, which resulted in a lot of shouting, pouting, and crying. All of which I tolerate less and less as I age.

Nevertheless, it was a good week of family bonding and another one the boys won't soon forget. And, because of all the storms, my daughter found a lot of shells, which made her very happy. We also saw wild alligators for the first time, and got closer than ever to the many dolphins who live near the island.

Of course, we also enjoyed the local cuisine. I tried more seafood and found I especially like grilled grouper, blackened mahi mahi, and Doc Ford's clam chowder. But I didn't indulge in Pinocchio's ice cream and Jerry's key lime pie with the rest of the family and, as a reward, returned from a second trip with zero weight gain.

And now it's back to reality with only a few days left of summer freedom. But that also means my favorite season, fall, is just around the corner. Love it!


1 comment:

Rita said...

That's so great that you all go together every year! Well, the no-see-ems aren't great, but the rest is. ;)