May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, December 4, 2014

December Daily – Day 4

Our family always celebrates Christmas on December 24. After our first grandson was born, we moved the meal from dinner to lunch to accommodate earlier bed times. We open gifts after we eat.

For the past several years I've served Ina Garten's Chicken Pot Pie. I like that I can make it the day before serving and it's a one-pot meal. But I'm getting a bit bored with it and suspect some other family members are too.

Coming up with a new menu, however, is extremely challenging given my daughter's restrictions and son-in-law's preferences. Neither one of them like pork, although they don't seem to have a problem with bacon and both ate my pork sausage dressing. They just won't eat ham, pork roast, or pulled pork. And Emily can't eat tomatoes and won't eat beans, so baked ziti, chili, and pizza are out too. Poultry's safe, but I don't want to have turkey because I just did that for Thanksgiving. Plus I prefer Christmas Eve lunch to be more casual with easier cleanup.

So this morning I pulled some cookbooks off the shelf and found a couple of possibilities. I now need to start testing, which is why Jonah and I hit the local grocery store this morning. Tonight we're having roasted chicken with lemon and rosemary. It's actually a cornish hen recipe, but I already had a small chicken thawed. Yes, I realize cornish hen doesn't sound casual. But, if I go that route, I'll only make two sides, one of which will be an easy crockpot recipe.

Next to the grocery store is a Michael's, so you know where Jonah and I went first. We had fun picking out today's holiday projects and everything was at least 40% off. It's a good thing my daughter's new house is nearly 4000 square feet, because Jonah loves projects!





1 comment:

Rita said...

We always had Christmas on Christmas Eve, too!! Had to wait until after dinner...and for YEARS we had to wait until we left my grandparents long after dinner and drove an hour or so home in the dark. Torture! So they let us open one (not significant) present before we left for grandma and grandpa's. (We always got pajamas from them to open at their house and often wore them home in the car--LOL!) Us kids played till we fell asleep (often dawn for me) and we never had stockings or anything on Christmas Day--it was for sleeping and playing and leaving Mom and Dad alone--LOL!

What a gorgeous gingerbread house! Fun project!! I hope your chicken turned out. It's hard to cook for people who all have different preferences and diets. We always had Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham--at my grandparents. Later on it was at my Mom and Dad's until they retired and moved to Florida--LOL! ;)