May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December Daily – Day 3

I don't watch Jonah on Wednesdays, so today I was able to wrap more presents. I especially wanted to wrap the boys' St. Nick's Day gifts.

Growing up my family always celebrated the feast day of St. Nicholas by setting our shoes outside our bedroom doors before going to sleep on December 5. When my brother, sister, and I woke up on the feast day, we would find our shoes filled with fruit and nuts, which were special treats when I was a child.

I continued the tradition with my children into their adulthood, substituting fruit and nuts with candy, small toys, or Christmas decorations. So, of course, now my grandsons are benefiting from the tradition.

This year the boys are getting holiday cross-stitched pieces. Elliott saw me stitching the bear and said he wanted it because it looked like his Duffy bear. And because Jonah wants everything Elliott has, I think he'll like his Santa with a cream-colored bear, especially since Jonah's favorite "lovey" is a cream bear.


I also mailed our holiday cards today. I finished them November 25 and had planned to mail them on December 1, but today was my first day out since the ice storm on Monday.

For years, I've been using Snapfish to send out photo cards, so distant friends and relatives can see how hubby and I, and the boys, are aging. For those who aren't active on Facebook, I attach a short update letter to the back.


I had hoped to also clean my hobby room today, so I can start working on cards for special little boys and girls in my life.  But I ran out of time. Now I'm hoping to get that job done Friday. Nevertheless it was still a productive, and fun, day.


1 comment:

Rita said...

I can't believe I've never heard of Saint Nick's Day! What a sweet tradition. Cute little handmade gifts, too. I am surprised how quickly the days can slip away from me--LOL! I think I will get more done than I do. Oh well. They are great days. :)