May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Maleficent

Yesterday afternoon I did one of my favorite activities. I went to the movies alone in the middle of a week day. When I do this, I typically pick a movie I'm eager to see that won't interest my hubby. This time I saw Maleficent, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I was eager to see Maleficent because Maleficent is the villain in my favorite fairytale, Sleeping Beauty. In fact, the only toy-like item I still have from my childhood is my copy of the book, which is taped and dog-eared. I also used to have Sleeping Beauty paper dolls I still can picture vividly in my mind. I so wish I still had them.

Maleficent the movie explains why Maleficent is evil, which the fairytale never did. It then goes further, creating an entirely new ending, which, in my opinion, is a much better depiction of "true love." I absolutely loved it and, while watching, kept thinking how Maleficent is a true adult fairytale.

I don't understand the negative reviews, but I also don't understand the PG rating. Parts of the movie are rather dark and I know they would upset and scare my 8-year-old grandson.

But if you're an adult who would enjoy a good fairytale, I recommend Maleficent. Angelina Jolie did a fantastic job and her scene with one of her real daughters as a young Aurora was absolutely adorable. It's a great start to the summer movies season.



No comments: