May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Our Little Hellion

My 3-year-old grandson is becoming a little hellion. Before the summer's over, I think Jonah's going to give my 34-year-old daughter gray hair!

Emily is a caring and patient parent, but Jonah is testing her every waking minute. When I watch Jonah, I'm able to keep him out of trouble by giving him my full attention. Of course, that's not possible when you're also doing laundry, house and garden work, cooking, and giving a fair amount of time to another child. (I never watch both boys alone!)

Emily's finding as soon as she turns her back, Jonah does something he shouldn't. Usually it's taking something apart. And, with his above average fine-motor skills, nothing's safe!

I love this picture taken yesterday at Gus' Pretzels.
No little wall's going to keep Jonah down!
Jonah's also becoming an expert tantrum thrower. Some days it seems he's mostly in timeout. And all the award tactics Emily uses with Jonah's older brother just don't work. Jonah's much more independent than Elliott was at the same age, so a promise of going somewhere, doing something, or getting something special rarely works.

I'm sure "this too shall pass." I just hope it's before Jonah leaves for college!

But looking forward, I think it's possible Elliott and Jonah could become a great team. What Elliott imagines, Jonah could build. Wouldn't that be sweet!


1 comment:

Rita said...

Funny how some kids are just much more time consuming than others are. Full and constant attention--whew! He sounds bright and curious--and needs a lot to keep him busy. I like your take on the brother team idea. ;)