May 2018

May 2018

Friday, July 12, 2013

Melancholia Hits

This week I've been busy emptying out the kitchen and cooking more than usual. In addition to cooking food for the day, I've been preparing meals I can easily warm in the microwave or on a hot plate during the kitchen remodel. So I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen the past five days and, yesterday, melancholy finally hit. 

During the 30 years we've lived in this house, I've logged more time in the kitchen than any other family member. And I've made numerous minor adjustments and modifications throughout the years in attempts to make the kitchen look and function better. 

But now there simply is no more that can be done to truly improve the function and flow of the space other than a major redo. Nevertheless, because the old kitchen and I have had such an intimate relationship, I'm feeling a tiny bit sad. And watching Renovation Raiders on HGTV and seeing how they demolished a kitchen in 45 minutes didn't help.

The crew arrives at 8:00 A.M. on Monday and I have a doctor's appointment at 8:30 A.M. I fully expect the demo will be 70-percent done by the time I return. I'm now thinking that's probably a good thing. 

I'm not a nostalgic person. I'm much more a visionary who enjoys progress. So I never thought a kitchen would cause me melancholia. Once, again, I'm reminded to "never say never."


1 comment:

Rita said...

I get sentimental over every place I've ever lived (and there have been many) even when I didn't even live someplace for six months and some of them left a lot to be desired. I missed squeaking doors & cupboards, water coming up the kitchen sink every time somebody used the washer in the hallway, creaky, saggy floors, windows painted shut...not because they were wonderful, but because they were part of my life for a time. Because my life was there within those walls. My daydreams and giggles and worries and tears...

Let's just say I know I would be remembering all my years in that kitchen if I were you. You knew it better than anyone else. And now you will fill the new space with your love and bright energy. Peace. :):)