May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Trash or Treasure?

After a couple of people told me I should try to sell my old kitchen cabinets, I decided to list them on Craigslist. But I was extremely skeptical. We had zero interest in our bathroom vanities a few years ago, and they weren't nearly as old as the kitchen cabinets. The kitchen cabinets are 40 years old and were painted 15 years ago, unlike the bathroom vanities. Well, slap my face!

The response was unbelievable. I started getting emails within an hour of listing. Before it was over, I had 20 people interested and several wanting to buy them sight unseen!

In the end, I sold them to a couple who are updating their kitchen as part of preparing their home for market. They have three children and recently took in their 88-year-old grandmother who has Alzheimer's Disease, so they desperately need more room. They are absolutely thrilled to be getting all of our cabinets for just $100. And, frankly, I'm happy to be helping them.

Encouraged, I now plan to list our countertop and sink if they survive the demo on Monday. I also plan to list our old cooktop. And, again, each piece will be "priced to sell." Primarily, I just want to keep as much as possible out of a landfill. And that's why what doesn't sell will be donated to a resale shop that gives all their profits to Habitat for Humanity.

I've definitely been reminded that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." And to not be so quick to trash something just because it's the quickest and easiest thing to do.



1 comment:

Rita said...

So true! One man's trash...
We use freecycle a lot for things we want to give away and are amazed at what might be useful to somebody else.

I've never tried Craigslist, but I'm glad it is working for you. Wonderful! It is so nice to have things go to good use. Recycle!! :)