May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Preparing for Paris

Six weeks from tomorrow, we leave for Paris.  It's a city so rich in art and history, it can be overwhelming when creating a nine-day itinerary.  Nevertheless, I'm giving it my best shot.

So far, I've booked a full-day tour of the Loire Valley, which includes several castles.  And I got notice yesterday that our Rail Europe tickets to Tours, France, where the tour begins, are in the mail.  I've also booked our Behind the Scenes tour of the Eiffel Tower.  In addition, I've created plans, including museums, restaurants, markets, and shops, for different sections of Paris, which was no small feat.

Paris museums and restaurants set their own operating days and times, which often make little sense.  For example, I might decide to spend Monday in the Marais only to discover our must-see museum in that area is closed that day when most other Paris museums are closed on Tuesdays. Nevertheless, after much research, I feel I'm getting close to a final itinerary.

I've also started planning my wardrobe for the trip.  Last Saturday I met my shopping friend and found the perfect coat.  It took some doing, but I was finally successful at Dillard's, purchasing my first London Fog coat at a nice sale price.

As the planning moves forward, I'm getting more and more excited.  By the time March arrives, I know we'll be more than ready (and well prepared!) to celebrate the sale of our business and 40 years of marriage with a once-in-a-lifetime trip.  Let the countdown begin!


No comments: