May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Old Dogs Learning New Tricks

The last couple of days, Jim and I have been dealing with several modern technology challenges. I'm well aware there's a lot I don't know, but also feel I'm way ahead of most of my friends and relatives the same age.  On the other hand, Jim has been online and has owned a smartphone for several years, yet still is absolutely clueless in many respects.  For example, he doesn't understand what a browser is no matter how many times I've explained it.  He also didn't know, until earlier this week, that a computer that sits on a desk is called a desktop.  Nevertheless, this week has been full of frustration for both of us.

Poor Jim started his new job on Monday with a new PC, landline phone system, and Android phone. By yesterday, he was at his wit's end.  We've been 100% Mac for many years now, so using Outlook for email was completely foreign to him.  And he absolutely hates the Android, admitting he's been spoiled by his iPhone.  We're certain he'll figure it all out eventually.  But, before he does, I suspect his secretary will want to scream!

My challenges have been with faxes and web domains.  The company buying our business is paperless, so prefer everything emailed.  We, however, do not have a scanner and still use a fax machine.  I have no idea what the problem is, but we haven't been able to fax to their corporate office in Texas.  There's no problem faxing to their local office.  Stands to reason, therefore, that the problem's on their end, right?

Next I had to change the whois information for our company's primary domain name.  I purchased that name years ago and not through the company that hosts our website.  Unfortunately, I forgot who I used to secure the domain name, and it took hours of research and emails to finally get it resolved.

I think, once Jim and I get though all these recent challenges, we'll feel a little smarter and a bit more accomplished.  But, right now, we're both just feeling like "old dogs."


No comments: