May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oven Cleaning

I have a GE built-in double oven that came with the house.  That means it's over 30 years old.  It works, but not great.  Although the temperatures register correctly, most items take much less or more time then the recipe states.  The most frustrating thing, however, is that it's not self-cleaning.

I gave up a stove with a self-cleaning oven when we bought this house.  It was so easy to clean.  I just locked the door, pushed a button, and, several hours later, I had a clean oven.  I was spoiled and, as a result, have rarely cleaned my built-in ovens.

Since a new kitchen is still years away, I recently decided I really need to tackle my ovens again. So, for the past week, I've been combing the internet, looking for the best products to do the job, and the easiest techniques.  As far as the oven racks are concerned, I'm now close to just replacing them because they're in such bad shape.

So far, the cheapest price I've found for two racks is $192, which includes shipping.  I suppose that's not too bad if it makes my 30-year-old ovens look better.  My fear, however, is that, shortly after making that investment, the old ovens will quit working.

Maybe I just should research new ovens instead.  Even though replacements will require a modification of my old cabinets, which will cost at least a couple hundred dollars, I'll at least also be taking another step toward an updated kitchen.

Sounds like I still need to do a lot of research.  Thank goodness for the internet!

No comments: