May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Today I spent half the day giving the master bedroom a good "spring cleaning." Between having the two spare rooms trimmed and painted, and getting a whole new hall bathroom, there was too much going on in that part of the house to tackle the job last spring.  So today was the day to finally get the job done.

As we redo and update the house, room by room, my primary goal is low maintenance.  For weekly cleanings, I want to get in and out of a room in 15 minutes or less.  Today I discovered that also means thorough cleanings take less time.  The redo of the master bath and bedroom was finished last summer. So today is the first time I've given the "new" master bedroom a "spring cleaning." I was amazed at how quickly I got the job done.  Less clutter and simpler window treatments did the trick.  I even had time to purge some items from my closet.

Why do I hold onto clothes and accessories I knew were bad purchases almost immediately and ended up rarely, if ever, wearing them?  It's as if I have to let them clutter my space for a year or two as penance for making a bad decision. Well, that simply doesn't fit with my new low maintenance plan.  In the future, as soon as I realize I've made a bad purchase, and can't return it for whatever reason, off it goes to charity.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments: