May 2018

May 2018

Monday, September 19, 2011

Testing Shoes

Today was my first opportunity to really test some of my winter flats.  It was damp and in the upper 60s, so sandals were inappropriate.  I hit two stores, the post office, and ate out, and ended up coming home twice to change my shoes.

I started with brand new shoes I thought would be fine for minimal walking.  I had already tested them around the house with no problems.  After walking through Kohl's, however, I was ready to toss them in the charity pile.  But because they're new, I'll try them again someday, with different socks, before giving up completely.

I then put on a pair of Propet loafers I've had for several years.  By the time I got through Gordman's, the toes on both of my feet felt like they were being squeezed and hitting the front of the shoe.  Those flats are definitely going to charity.

My last test of the day was an old pair of SoftSpots loafers.  I didn't do as much walking with them as the other two pair, but they felt the best by far.  I'm not surprised because, in general, I have fair luck with SoftSpots.  It's just too bad they don't make double wides in all their styles.

I still have several pairs of flats to test before deciding what to wear in Ireland.  I'm sure I'll find one or two pairs that are bearable, but we're still planning to minimize walking.  On other trips to Europe, we walked several miles every day.  And, if it weren't for my bad feet, I know I could do it again.  My legs are still strong and my energy is better than average.  But I'm not complaining because my situation could be a lot worse.  I'll just continue doing all I can and keep testing shoes.

No comments: