May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Level of Maturity

Today was the best day I've had to date with Jonah.  It started with a hand shake.

When Jonah arrived, he walked straight to me with a big smile and his right hand extended.  I thought he had something for me, but now believe he was trying to shake my hand.  Because when papa showed up, he got the same smile and right hand.  It does make sense.  Jonah is not a hugger or kisser, so maybe he's going to be a hand shaker.

The other different thing about Jonah's arrival today was that he wasn't clinging to Mike.  For weeks, Emily or Mike have had to peal off a crying Jonah before they can leave.  Of course, before they're more than two steps out the door, all's well. But today there was no clinging or crying.

We also had our best morning walk.  Typically Jonah starts eating crackers the second he's strapped into the stroller.  I have to stop every five to ten minutes to load up his tray with more food, and hope we don't run out before we're finished. But today Jonah didn't ask for crackers until we were a quarter into our walk.  He just had fun telling me about the passing cars, trucks, and buses.

The rest of the morning was also delightful.  Jonah played nicely and with a big smile.  But the most amazing thing was that he actually sat on the couch with me for fifteen minutes watching Sesame Street.  Never before had I seen Jonah sit still for that long unless he was strapped into a stroller, high chair, or car seat. And then it happened again in the afternoon when we watched part of an episode of The Backyardigans.

Jonah also didn't fight diaper changes today.  But the "icing on the cake" was a three hour nap.  He typically sleeps barely two hours.

Yes, it was a good day.  It also could have been a rare day, but I'm hoping we've reached a new level of maturity.

No comments: