May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lesson Learned

Because of the frozen joint in my right big toe, I rarely wear heels.  If I do, it's usual only for 2-4 hours.  Last Saturday, however, I took a chance and wore two-inch heels for 10 hours during a wedding and reception.  Big mistake.  Until today, since Saturday night I've been in a lot of pain.  Thankfully, this morning the pain was gone, but it scared me.

Since the diagnosis three years ago, I've been doing all I can to avoid surgery.  I never wear cheap shoes, making sure to only buy extra-wide widths to give my feet plenty of room.  (Thank goodness for footsmart. com and zappos.com!)  I primarily go barefoot (in the house) or wear flats. I've also gotten good at walking without bending my right big toe.  As long as I'm not in chronic pain, I won't need surgery.  But if it ever gets to a point where I can't sleep or need daily pain killers, I won't have much of a choice.

Therefore, it'll now be an extremely rare occasion to see me in heels.  And it definitely will only be for a couple of hours of which I will mostly be sitting.  I have learned my lesson the hard way.

No comments: