May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Digital Magic

A couple of weeks ago, I rented the movie, Last Night, through iTunes, using my iPad.  The iTunes rental policy states the movie will be on my device for 30 days, and 24 (in the US) or 48 (elsewhere) hours after viewing is started.  Once the rental period expires, the movie disappears.

When I first read the policy, I assumed I could only view a rental if I was online. How else would iTunes know when I started watching?  But after doing some research, I learned I didn't need to be online, which would be great for travel.  I could then watch rentals in a car or on a plane.  However, I still found it hard to believe, so I tested it with Last Night.

While I was suffering with nausea, body ache, fever, and headache, I crawled into bed last night with my iPad.  I turned off Wi-Fi and clicked the Last Night video.  I immediately got a pop-up that said the movie would disappear after 24 hours. How did they know I was watching?  I viewed the entire movie with no problems.

I had come to the conclusion a long time ago that nothing is private in this day and age.  Yet I'm beyond mystified as to how iTunes can know I'm watching a rental when I'm not online.  It's just more digital magic beyond my comprehension.

1 comment:

Blinkdawg said...

I imagine there's a timer in the download itself that checks against the clock on your iPad.