May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Next Generation

My old MacBook is being held together with duct tape.  So over the weekend, I took advantage of the tax-free program to save nearly $60 on a new model.  My son-in-law helped me decide on the 13" MacBook Air, which arrived today.

Seriously, how thin can laptops get?  The MacBook Air is barely a half an inch thick when closed and doesn't weigh much more than its AC plug.  But while it's compact size and lighter weight will make it great for travel, there are many other improvements in this new generation of notebooks.

I especially love how bright and clear the screen is and how much quicker it responds. It's a lot like my iMac in that regard.  It used to be such a disappointment going from my desktop to my laptop, but not any more.  My biggest challenge so far is getting used to the OS X Lion operating system.  But having used an iPad and iPhone for awhile seems to be helping me adjust.  I feel certain I'll quickly find Lion to be an improvement also.

Now my old MacBook is Elliott's computer at grandma's house.  No more negotiating laptop time with a five year old!  But honestly I'm happy that Elliott's already so comfortable with computers.  Where his generation will take them I can't even imagine.

No comments: