May 2018

May 2018

Friday, August 12, 2011

Last Day of Summer

Today's the last day of summer for me.  I'm watching Elliott on Monday because school already started for Emily.  And beginning next week, I'll be watching Jonah Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  In addition, beginning Wednesday, the first day of classes, I'll be getting Elliott to and from the bus stop every day.

So today I decided to treat myself and went to the movies.  I saw The Help because I thought it was a "chic flick" that Jim wouldn't mind missing.  In fact, the audience was mostly women over 50 years of age.  However, after seeing the film, I now think Jim will enjoy watching it when it comes to the small screen.

The Help is a sad commentary about the lives of southern black women who worked in white homes during the 1960s.  Every time I see a show or film about life during the time I grew up, I realize it's no wonder my generation has so many problems, mental and physical.  The historically accurate TV series, Mad Men, also set in the 1960s, supports that belief.  During the years we were maturing and "finding ourselves," we were also suffering through racism, sexism, and nutritionally-deficient diets.

I suppose many are still suffering.  But I also like to think many of us have finally recognized the mistakes of the past and are now able to make things better for future generations.

No comments: