May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let Me Off The Roller Coaster!

When I talked with dad on Monday, he was still upset about his Sunday visit with mom. He said mom's color was bad and she had trouble putting words and sentences together. She also had severe bruising.  

I visited at lunch today.  Yes, mom looks much worse than she did before I went on vacation last week.  Both of her arms and hands are nearly covered with bruises.  She also looks jaundice to me, and couldn't put a sentence together to save her life.  I fed mom grapes, which is all she would eat.  Mom's nurse was at lunch, so I called her when I got back home.  

Mom is still fighting, which explains the bruises.  Basically, she swings and misses, hitting the bed, table, or chair instead. They are now letting her stay in bed until she's ready to get up for the day.  She is then "pleasant" until the fighting begins, again, in the evening.  Her recent blood tests showed no problem with her liver, which would have explained the jaundice look.  Mom was 190 pounds when she was moved from the dementia ward to the fourth floor in May.  She is now 185 pounds, so no concern there either.

Before last Sunday, dad was planning to visit mom on Tuesdays in addition to Thursdays and Sundays.  And just two weeks ago dad was telling me he wished mom was closer so he could visit more often.  Now he's too upset to add a third day.  Honestly, the worse part of this whole situation is the emotional roller coaster.  And after 8+ years, I'm more than ready to get off.

No comments: