May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I've Been Smurfed!

This morning I saw The Smurfs with Emily and Elliott.  After Entertainment Weekly's grade of D+, I wasn't expecting much.  Fortunately, however, it quickly became clear that the reviewers hadn't considered the intended audience.

Elliott laughed out loud through 75 percent of the movie.  At one point he yelled, "this is a funny movie!"  And, even for adults, there was some entertaining humor.  I especially enjoyed Hank Azaria's performance as Gargamel and the animation of his "real" cat.  But, without a doubt, The Smurfs is mostly a good movie for 5-year-olds and there's nothing wrong with that.

I typically don't pay attention to movie reviews unless the grade dips below B-.  At that point, if I'm still interested, I wait until it comes to the small screen.  But after The Smurfs, I'm going to be much more skeptical of all movie reviews.

No comments: