May 2018

May 2018

Monday, June 6, 2011

"The Thrill of the Grill"

I've watched enough cooking shows to know that the quickest way to grill a whole chicken is to flatten it out.  So I did my research and, today, spatchcocked a chicken.  A year ago, there was no way I was ever going to cut a backbone out of a chicken and crack its breast bone.  I had no desire to handle a raw chicken that much.  But I've become a more adventurous cook and, recently, been doing more grilling.

Last week I grilled a turkey breast for the first time.  I'm working my way through our two freezers before the meat gets too old.  But I don't want to heat up the kitchen.  With my Weber Performer, I've learned it's easy to cook something as large as a turkey breast.  It just takes more time and charcoal than hamburgers or pork steaks.

The Weber Performer is such a clever invention.  A small propane tank quickly ignites the charcoals, so there's great charcoal flavor without distasteful lighter fluid taste.  It's been a great purchase.  Without it, I definitely would not be enjoying "the thrill of the grill."

No comments: