May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Stress of Having Senior Parents

This morning I did two hours of yard work before I got nauseous from the heat.  I honestly didn't think it was too hot until I began sweating and feeling ill.  It's easy to see how the elderly can get overheated without much warning.

Dad is 80 years old and has a heart condition.  But he still cleans the house and does his own lawn care.  Dad does seem to tolerate the heat better than me, but I'm still always worried about him overdoing it.  If dad passed before mom, I doubt I would ever fully recover. Yet there are times when I think dad hopes that will happen, so he doesn't have to mourn his wife's passing.

I never expected that the last stage of life for either of my parents would be so stressful. And no matter how long it continues, especially with regard to mom, it doesn't get any easier.

No comments: