May 2018

May 2018

Friday, June 17, 2011

Design With a Plan

Today I'm having fun putting the spare rooms back together.  Long ago, Daniel's room became a guest room.  I now call it the boys' room.  The main furniture pieces are a queen size bed and a play yard for Jonah.  The theme is sophisticated Disney, which should last a long time since the Jorgensens are Disney Vacation Club members.  It's also a good neutral theme, not catering to either Jonah's or Elliott's current interest.

When Emily moved out, I turned her bedroom into a hobby room.  It's a great space for all my craft supplies.  And I love being able to leave projects out until they're completed, which I couldn't do when I was using the kitchen table.  I'm in the process of giving that room a Parisian shappy chic theme.  The walls are now a deep rose and the main furniture is black and white.  There are also a few antique pieces in the room.

I've learned a lot about interior decor from a designer I use infrequently, HGTV, the web, and magazines.  In the last few years, I feel I've finally found a style I can live with for a long time.  Although I've been purchasing a lot of new items, mostly accessories, I know I will save money in the long run.  Before, I purchased items I liked in the store and tried to make them work at home.  They never really did and, eventually, went to charity.  Now I shop with a clear plan and end up with the perfect items.  If only I knew then, what I know now. . .

No comments: