May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Three Good Movies

It turned out to be a weekend of movies.  Friday night I watched The Queen while Jim was at the ball game.  I'm a Helen Mirren fan and found the movie about Queen Elizabeth just as good the third time around.  The portrayal of the monarchy's less than sympathetic perspective of Diana's royal life is refreshing.  And I suspect it's not far from the truth.  Diana was so loved worldwide it's easy to forget there are always at least two sides to every story.  Helen Mirren received an Academy Award; the film earned five other nominations.

Saturday night, using Roku, we finally saw The King's Speech.  Collin Firth plays King George IV, Queen Elizabeth's father.  We found the film well-deserving of its four Academy Awards and eight additional nominations.  Especially if you think the British monarchy is of no value, I recommend watching The King's Speech.

Then, today, we saw Water for Elephants. (Our original Mother's Day plans were cancelled when Elliott woke with a fever and sore throat at 4:00 A.M. this morning.)  I knew the film was about a circus and starred Reese Witherspoon, but nothing else. It surprised me how good it was.  I think it says something when an audience spontaneously applauds at the climactic scene.  I nominate Rosie, the elephant, for an Academy Award!

No comments: