May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seemingly Endless Nightmare

Easter Break begins at the end of the school day today.  School resumes next Tuesday, so it's a short break.  Nevertheless, I'm happy for a little time off from full-time toddler care.  I'm also looking forward to Easter fun with the boys.  This afternoon Elliott and I will color eggs.  Emily and Jonah will join us, but I'm not expecting them to participate much.  On Sunday, we're hosting an egg hunt and brunch.

I just wish the long weekend could be only about enjoying my grandsons.  But, unfortunately, I'm worried about dad who's having a tough time dealing with mom's recent decline.  Mom can no longer walk or stand, and is barely eating. After two years in the dementia wing, she will move to another floor, today or tomorrow, where she can get the extra help she now needs.  Dad thinks mom will be upset about the move.  I doubt she'll even remember her old room once she's in her new one.

I will, however, miss the people who have cared for mom over the last two years.  I think mom's passing would be easier with their support since we've come to know each other so well.  Now we have to meet a new staff and learn a different routine. But I'm praying we don't have much time to build a rapport with mom's new caregivers.  Especially for dad's sake, this nightmare needs to end.


**24 Grandma Days until End of School Year**

No comments: