May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Obligations

Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.  Lent is 40 days long and a time of preparation for Holy Week.  

As a child, I remember giving something up for Lent such as chocolate.  Then in my teens and young adult years, the church began encouraging acts of preparation such as attending mass more often or saying the rosary daily.  Two obligations, however, have remained constant.

First, Catholics 14 years and older are obliged to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all the Fridays of Lent.  This has always been an easy obligation for me. Today I'm having clam chowder for lunch and noodles with either olive oil or a tomato sauce for dinner.

Second, Catholics "between" the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  That means one moderate meal, two small meals, and no eating in between.  In recent years, I've found this Lenten rule tougher to accept.  

For some time now health professionals have been recommending we eat a little every few hours rather than consume larger amounts three times a day.  Personally, I've found this practice extremely helpful in keeping my weight down and eliminating low blood sugar headaches and fatigue.  Therefore, I am happy that I am now released from the Lenten obligation of fasting.  Finally I can honestly say I'm glad to be 59 years old!


*6 Grandma Days until Spring Break!*

No comments: