May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Girlfriends

I've never needed tons of friends.  In fact, whenever I hear something like, ". . .wedding was attended by 200 of their closest friends and relatives," I'm extremely skeptical.  Honestly, how can a person have 200 "close" friends and relatives?

Maybe my definition of "close" is different from others.  To me a "close" relationship takes effort and time.  And with all the demands of my everyday life, I can only manage a few "close" girlfriends.  At this stage of my life, I have two.

Tonight I'll have dinner with one of those friends.  We met as room mothers when our children attended the same grade school.  Considering that my youngest child is 32, we've been friends for a long time.  Candy and I had other mutual friends, but she's the only one that's stayed constant in my life.  We're the same age and have been married to the same husbands for nearly four decades.  In addition, we each have two children nearly the same ages.  We also still have parents alive who are often not well.  Throughout the many years of our friendship, obviously our shared experiences have strengthened our relationship.  But we still wouldn't be close if we hadn't taken the effort and time to do so.

My second "close" friend I call my "shopping buddy."  We met in 1992 when we worked in the same office.  Tracie lives in Edwardsville, Illinois.  We've remained friends by meeting nearly every three months at the Galleria.  After almost 20 years, I'm glad we both still look forward to our shopping dates.  Our next one is this Saturday.

I'm grateful for both of these "close" friendships.


(Day 29 of 30-Day Shred:  Can't believe I'm just one workout away from finishing the program!)

No comments: