May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Call Me Four Eyes

Jonah was late getting to grandma's today, because his dad lost his contact lens.  I'm sure he has back up, but the problem was the lens was hiding somewhere in his eye socket.

This episode just reminded me of the problems with contact lenses.  I had worn contacts for nearly 25 years before switching to glasses in fall 2009.  That summer I went in for my yearly exam, complaining about discomfort in my left eye.  Turns out I've always had slight astigmatism in that eye, but it never bothered me before.  Over several months, I went through the frustration of trying many different brands of lenses before finally giving up.

There are times when I think I'd look better without glasses, but not often.  Certainly not often enough to give up the comfort and convenience of glasses over contact lenses.  No longer do I suffer from dry eye or need to squeeze my eyes shut to adjust a contact.  I also like not having to make room for liquid cleaners when I travel.  And, best of all, I no longer have to mess with readers.

The only down side I've found so far is that I can no longer snorkel on our yearly trip to the Riviera Maya.  I'm sure it would still be possible if I invested in prescription goggles.  Or, I suppose if I really felt the desire, I could suffer through wearing an old pair of contacts for a short excursion.

So, for me, there really isn't a down side to choosing glasses over contact lenses.  Plus now I have another fashion accessory!

No comments: