May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January Recap

I've been retired for five years and haven't watched either of the grandsons all day everyday for three years. Nevertheless, when I'm not rushing and stressing I still sometimes feel I'm not doing enough. I guess I'm still adjusting to retirement. But I'm happy to report, except for our five-day trip to New Jersey mid month, my January has been pretty slow-paced.

I've never been an avid reader, yet this month I finished three novels. I think in the past I just had trouble sitting still long enough to steadily get through a book. Maybe that's changing. I started a fourth novel yesterday.

This month I also started my yearly purging and reorganizing. For me 2017 was the year of the "Big Purge," which means there's much less to get rid of this year. And that means cleaning closets, cupboards, and drawers is much easier. I don't need to dedicate hours everyday to getting the job done. For example, yesterday I only tackled the spice cabinet, which left me plenty of time for reading.

I've also had time for some dreaded deep cleaning already this year. Last week, on hands and knees, I scrubbed the floor grout in both bathrooms. Luckily, since it's just hubby and me, that's only a once-a-year job.

Transitiong to a healthier diet after the holidays remains a priority. I've been trying new low-carb slow-cooker recipes and counting calories daily. Plus, as much as I hate the scale, I've been weighing myself everyday. It's been interesting to see just how much my weight fluctuates over a week. But I think it's safe to say I lost three pounds this month.

Now on to February 2018, the month my first grandchild turns 12 years old. How is it possible he'll be a teenager next year? God help us!


2 comments:

Rita said...

You may find you really enjoy the slower pace and the more time to read and relax. It's a shifting of gears. You have time to smell the roses. But it does take a while to adjust to the shift--LOL! ;)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Yeah my oldest grandchild started high school this year he is 12 and my youngest grandchild is starting school this year, they grow up so fast