May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Score!

I watch a lot of YouTube. I mean a lot. I do all the research and planning for our trips and have found YouTube to be the best resource. It's seriously changed my life and my husband's who travels with me.

If you've ever watched YouTube then you understand how one video can lead to another and another. That's how I ended up watching a lot of thrifters. As a result, I sometimes now visit local thrift stores, but have never spent more than $5 for any one item. That is until today.

I recently redecorated our second bedroom. For years it had a Disney theme because it was where the grandsons took their naps when I watched them full-time as babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. But they've been in full-time school for years now, and I decided it was time to get rid of the primary colors and Disney decor.

After replacing the wall art, bringing up hubby's family's rocking chair from the basement, packing up the stuffed animals for our annual MS garage sale, and moving the red bookcase downstairs, this is what it looked like –



I was very happy with the result, especially since I hadn't spent any money at this point. But I did want to eventually replace the lamps and get a small dresser or chest. I was determined, however, not to spend too much money. And I succeeded.

First I replaced both lamps with two I already had. They both where in different rooms before, but look much better in the second bedroom now. Then today, thanks to a FaceBook post, I got a nice wooden chest at a resale shop for just $50!

I'm definitely starting to appreciate the thrill of thrifting. I just wish more shops would post items online, making it so much easier to score a deal without wasting a lot of time. That surely is the future of thrifting, right?

Here's our new addition. Perfect fit. Perfect color.





2 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

You scored a great find with that chest. I can find small items in thrift stores when I'm looking for them, but I never see pieces like that chest that are in decent shape. Congrats!

Rita said...

Yes! Congrats on the chest! It does look perfect in there and the room looks great, too. Nice to change things up. Now they're kind of back to normal, too.

I watch a lot of youtube. Too much, I think--LOL! But anything I want to learn how to do I can usually find on youtube. All kinds of arts and crafts, repairs, how to make things, how to use products, all kinds of general information...and then there are just the fun videos I watch because it is like taking a vacation for me. I actually watch three long boaters who travel the canals in England--ROFL! Yes--I know how one video leads to another--LOL! ;)