May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Intermittent Fasting – Update #3

I've been Intermittent Fasting now for three weeks. For the most part I'm fasting for 15 hours. But I did have a couple days this week where I fasted for only 14 hours mainly because I woke earlier than normal.

During my nine-hour eating window, I'm mainly sticking to ~1600 healthy calories. Yesterday was an exception. My youngest grandson had a "Grandma Day" and we went to Dairy Queen for lunch, which included ice cream. I ate, enjoyed the company, and felt no guilt.

I continue to sleep deeper than I did before IF, despite several challenges our family is currently facing. I've already mentioned my son is moving his family back to the east coast at the end of the month. He'll be going to law school at Fordham University at night completely funded by financial aid. Hubby and I are extremely concerned. He has no idea how difficult it'll be working full time and going to law school, all the while giving proper attention to his wife, young daughter, and his own health and wellbeing. Plus hubby and I strongly feel his expectation of the career he'll find when he passes the bar (never going to get that far in my opinion) is a fantasy. But, hey, he's 42 years old and we have other things to worry about.

Earlier this week hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer. We have a consultation with the urologist this morning. It's early stage and, frankly, we weren't that surprised. One in seven senior men will develop prostate cancer and odds are doubled if someone in your family has or had it. Hubby's brother was diagnosed several years ago. His diagnosis was much more severe and now he's cancer free. I expect we're facing some type of treatment, but we're very hopeful for a complete cure. We'll know more after today's meeting.

OK, that's a lot of stuff! Now back to my IF results.

My clothes are fitting a little loser and I appear less puffy in the mid-section. I read that positive changes in the mid-section are common with IF. But it might also be due to me having drastically cut sugar from my diet. Yesterday's indulgence at Dairy Queen is the first time in three weeks I've consume that much sugar in one day. I've given up sugar before and it did improve my overall look.

Sure, it's only been three weeks. But I like how I'm looking and feeling so I plan to "stay the course!"


No comments: