May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Hidden Figures

Yesterday hubby and I saw Hidden Figures, the best new movie I've seen in many years!

Although it was about three black women who were math geniuses in the 60s, the real-life story wasn't just about black prejudice. I feel it was equally about perceived male superiority during the time. In fact, my takeaway was the Russians beat us into space because Americans wouldn't let smart women play a bigger role in the space race sooner.

Another message of the movie I absolutely loved was proof that going after what you want can pay off. Nothing came easy to these women but that didn't stop them. Truly they are fantastic role models for all women, no matter their color. And it's a shame we're just now learning about them. Even their family, specifically children and grandchildren, were unaware of all the struggles these women overcame until they saw the movie.

Needless to say, I highly recommend Hidden Figures. There's no better way to start your 2017 movie watching. But, if you're emotional like me, be sure to have tissues handy. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rita said...

I heard that this movie was really good! I have it on my save list on Netflix.

It's true--back then women were on the bottom of the barrel and black women really at the bottom in our society. They weren't allowed to have their name on anything unless the husband gave permission in writing. Women were let go from (crappy) jobs if a man wanted it because they were the heads of household--and this was regardless of whether the woman was alone and raising kids on her own and working three jobs to do it. Times have changed so much--for the better. The young females today have no clue what it was like. And I only have half a clue growing up in the 50s and 60s because it was worse as you went back in time. I can hardly wait to see this one!! :):)

Stephanie Faris said...

I saw a Facebook friend posting about how great the film was and I wasn't sure which movie she was talking about. Now I put the movie title with the preview I saw on TV. It does look like a great movie!