May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I'm a Thrifter!

I used to hate going to thrift shops for anything. I was mainly turned off by the smell. But after watching hours of thrifters on YouTube, and seeing the bargains my son and DIL scored at Savers when they first moved here, I just had to give it another try. And a few weeks ago was the ideal time to "test the waters."

During Tax Free weekend, Savers ran a Summer Special. All purchases were half off in addition to not being taxed. I ended up with a pair of black crop pants, a basic tee, and two flyaway cardigans for just $20. And all pieces were name brands from either a department store or boutique. It's been too warm for me to enjoy the cardigans, but the crop pants have quickly become a favorite. Needless to say, it was a successful experiment and I'm no longer anti-thrifting.

On Tuesdays Savers gives a 30% discount to seniors (55 and over). Since today's the first day of school, I knew it wouldn't be crowded, so decided to thrift. I just returned with a Gap loose-fit pullover and Hanes long-sleeve stripe t-shirt, all for a whooping $8.

I know I won't be able to get my entire fall wardrobe from thrift stores. But I'm now convinced I'll definitely be able to save big on several items. And that means my fall-wardrobe budget has just been cut in half!



1 comment:

Rita said...

Whoohoo! Good for you! I think that is great that you got such fantastic deals. Saving money is always a good thing. :) :)