May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Movie Review – Spotlight

Hubby was hanging with the guys today, so I saw Spotlight because I didn't think he would enjoy it. But after seeing it, I now believe he will like it when it's available through Amazon Prime.

If the Academy hadn't nominated Spotlight for Best Movie, I'm not sure I would have ever seen it. Not because of the subject matter, but because it got very little publicity. At least none I ever saw. Never saw a preview in the movie theater; never saw a major ad in Entertainment Weekly.

But Spotlight is another movie nominee I enjoyed although, as a Catholic, I found it frustrating. I was born in a strict God-fearing environment and bought everything the Catholic church dished out for way too many years. But when the massive scandal of child molestation within the church was exposed on the heals of 9/11, I began questioning everything. Even though, at the time, I didn't want to know all the details. It was just too hard to take.

I doubt Spotlight will win for Best Movie. But it's well done and I definitely recommend it.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Such a huge disappointment when you learn that people you respected didn't deserve it. Understatement when it comes to molesting children. I heard that the movie dealt more with the solving of the mystery and trying to get the truth out than dwelling on the acts and that it was fascinating to see how hard they tried to squelch the information from coming out. Sad, but important, I think. I definitely want to see this one.