May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Movie Review – Brooklyn

I was able to check off another Academy Award movie nominee today. Brooklyn is a charming delightful film about immigration from Ireland to New York in the 1950s. It's not an epic or a sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat film, so I'm not sure why it was nominated. But I'm glad it was, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered seeing it.

There are two main reasons I enjoyed Brooklyn. First, it takes place during the time I was born. When sets and costumes are done right, I always find it fun to be reminded of how much things have changed.

Second, it was refreshing to watch an immigration story that didn't include depressing or life-threatening drama. In Brooklyn, the main character is treated fairly and succeeds relatively quickly. The worse that happens to Ellis Lacey (besides homesickness) is the terrible seasickness she experiences on her voyage to America.

So now the only 2015 movie nominees I didn't see are Mad Max: Fury Road and Room. I'm not at all interest in Mad Max, and have decided to watch Room in the privacy of my own home where I can cry freely.

My prediction for Best Movie? The Revenant! Weeks later and I still can't stop thinking about it.

Enjoy the show!

1 comment:

Rita said...

I can't believe the Mad Max movie was even nominated.
I remember thinking about Man In The Wilderness for a long time after seeing it so I imagine this Revenant remake will have a similar effect on me.