May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Weight Lose Update

I've been diligently counting and logging calories for five weeks and two days. I've also been sticking to a high-fiber high-protein diet that includes little-to-no processed sugar or artificial sweetener. Nevertheless, until today, the number on the scale never budged.

Then, finally, this morning I was rewarded with a two pound drop. While that was good news, I truly won't believe it until the new number sticks for at least two weeks or, better yet, drops.

I just don't get why it's so hard to lose weight as an active senior? Before turning 61, I could easily drop 1-2 pounds a week by just controlling my caloric intake. Why is it so freakin' hard to do that now?

I'm using LoseIt! to keep track of my daily calories, sticking to their recommendation for losing one pound a week. While nothing was happening, I searched several other resources to confirm the daily calorie intake LoseIt! recommends and they all came back with the same number. Then, yesterday, I calculated my BMR after reading on the LoseIt! forum that I should eat 150-200 calories above that number. Guess what, it's the same number of calories LoseIt! recommends!

In all honesty, I'm not discouraged, yet, and had been grateful that at least my weight had stabilized. So I plan to continue with my current diet, especially since I know I'm doing good things for my overall health while not feeling at all deprived. Plus there are other benefits such as the cost savings of not drinking diet cola any more, which we often did the few times a week we eat out. Since hubby has joined me on that change, we now save at least $5 at restaurant meals.

From the beginning, my goal has been to lose 10 pounds by my 65 birthday in October 2016. At the rate I'm going, it's a good thing I'm giving myself plenty of time!


1 comment:

Rita said...

It's hard enough to lose weight as a senior when you're active! Being inactive...it's almost impossible. I have kept the same (huge) weight for about 8-10 years, so at least that's good. I have been eating healthier than I was ten years ago, so I figure at least I have healthier fat--LOL! ;)

Good for you! Stick with it. My doctors say that the eating healthier part is most important. :)