May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Boyhood

Today I watched another Oscar nomination, Boyhood, through Amazon Instant View. Although I enjoyed Boyhood (loved the Harry Potter references), I felt it moved slowly. I'm glad I was at home, so I could pause it a couple of times to move the laundry and make something to eat.

Boyhood's also a long movie, 165 minutes. (Another good reason to watch it at home instead of in a theater.) In just shy of three hours, the viewer watches as Mason ages from five to 18. It got me wondering how I would feel about my own pre-adult life if I could go back and watch it. I suppose children whose lives are being chronicled in daily vlogs will be able to do just that. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

My favorite line was when the mom said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I feel I spent half my life acquiring all this crap; and I'm going to spend the second half getting rid of it all." I made that realization a few years ago and actually said it out loud. Maybe I should be a writer. LOL

In summary, I recommend Boyhood for an entertaining movie to watch in the comfort of your home.


1 comment:

Rita said...

The whole idea of that movie fascinates me. Have you ever watched the British 7 Up series? They've been going back every seven years and visiting these kids who were 7 years old in 1964. I've thought about a lot of the same things you mentioned while watching that series unfold. (Last one I think they were 49.) I know I will watch this movie. Even though it is just a movie, it will be interesting to see the characters age, anyways. :)