May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Fitbit

Fitbit One
I gave hubby a Fitbit One for Christmas. I got a good deal on Amazon by using my Amazon points. While the majority of Fitbit users primarily track exercise and calories, my main objective for hubby was to have him track sleep.

For decades hubby's been complaining he doesn't sleep well. Twenty years ago he even did a sleep study, which ruled out sleep apnea. My belief is, after sleeping 4-5 hours on the couch, odds are a person will not sleep as soundly in bed. And the Fitbit, in my opinion, is proving me right.

Every evening hubby's been setting the Fitbit to sleep mode after he puts down his laptop and iPhone, and just before he start's his "pre-sleep" on the couch. Around midnight, he moves to the bed. According to Fitbit, hubby is sleeping soundly while on the couch and is restless in bed. Hah!

Will this motivate hubby to work at breaking his sleep habit? I highly doubt it. And he'll continue to be extra tired on vacations when there's no opportunity for a couch "pre-sleep." Honestly, if you're tired, go to bed!

Fitbit Flex
Recently I also joined all the Fitbit users. Looking for a little more motivation to eat better and workout more, I used my Kohl's cash to get a Fitbit Flex, which I've been wearing for five days now.

So far I've discovered I need to dedicate at least 30 minutes to intense exercise (aerobics or power walking), and keep moving (doing housework or shopping) for 4-5 hours after, if there's any hope of reaching 10,000 steps for the day. And I've confirmed what I suspected of my own sleep pattern. I get a sound 7-8 hours of sleep every night – in bed!

I was concerned I'd find the Fitbit annoying to wear 24-7. But it's actually comfortable and, most of the time, I forget I have it on.

So I feel Fitbit could push me to eat less and workout more if I give it a fair chance. Time will tell. But, one thing's for sure, I'm going to love seeing my steps add up during our upcoming trip to Universal Orlando!


No comments: