May 2018

May 2018

Monday, August 11, 2014

We Have a Third-Grader!

I find it hard to believe my first grandson is already in third grade. It's a big year. One Elliott is anxious and eager to begin.

In fact, Elliott is so anxious he'll begin cognitive therapy in a couple of weeks. Our super smart boy desperately needs strategies to cope with life's demands.

It may be determined Elliott has an anxiety disorder, but I also think his emotional outbursts are part of the high-IQ curse. He is just so super aware and sensitive. The therapist, however, already suspects Elliott's high intelligence will help and he'll do well in therapy, requiring only a few sessions.

Time will tell. I'm just glad he's getting help. Let the new school year begin!

Last back-to-school picture from Elliott's first home.
Next year he'll be in his family's forever home.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh, I think the high IQ will help, too. He'll be able to understand the logic of suggestions and different ways of looking at things or approaching problems or issues. Being able to think things through should help him quite a bit. A good counselor will give him suggestions as to how to get out of a thought loop. From what I understand and with my own issues with anxiety--you can get into a repetitious worry thought loop. Learning to get out of them will help him a lot. :) Such a cutie!!