May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Old Hobby New Addiction

Many many years ago, I did a lot of cross-stitching. It was my favorite hobby. I don't remember when and why I stopped, but I never got rid of all my supplies (three boxes of floss, hoops, needles, fabric, and patterns). That's a good thing, because this summer I've been stitching every chance I get.

Except for the cost of finishing, cross-stitching is an extremely affordable hobby. It's also very portable, which makes it a nice way to pass the time while flying or taking a road trip. In fact, all the traveling we had planned for 2014 is a big reason I decided to pick it up again.

Currently I'm working on these Halloween owls. I'm not sure if I'll frame them or somehow use them on cards. I haven't washed or press them yet, but was eager to share.

This is my favorite. I hope to find a small
charm (spider or star) to dangle from the hat.
This little guy was super fast to stitch.
So adorable and I might stitch
just the jack-o-lantern someday.
I started Frankenstein yesterday.

I now suspect revisiting one old hobby will lead to resurrecting another. I also used to do a lot of sewing, but my machine hasn't see the light of day for decades. Now I'm thinking about bringing it out, again, so I can use several of my cross-stitch projects in pillows or totes.

Frankly, however, it doesn't really matter how, or even if, I use my finished pieces. I'm just simply having fun creating with an old friend.


1 comment:

Rita said...

I did crewl work many years ago--decades. And my sewing machine might be dusted off and drug out to see the light of day again here this summer yet. I enjoy revisiting old friends. One of these days (or years) I will dig out the boxes with all the polymer clay supplies, too. Aren't we smart to hang onto all this stuff? ;)

Your owls are so cute. Like you say, you're just having fun making them right now. You can decide what to do with them later. You'll find something perfect. :)