May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cleaning the Storage Room

We have a small storage room in our basement that hasn't been properly cleaned for at least five years. By that I mainly mean clearing every shelf and thoroughly dusting and vacuuming. Yesterday was the day to get the job done.

Besides the hot water heater, furnace/ac unit, and old refrigerator, the storage room mainly houses seasonal decorations and suitcases. But there are miscellaneous items as well. One was an extremely large plastic storage bin that held "memories." 

For many years, I'd been tossing items in that bin I just couldn't part with yet no longer had any use for. Yesterday I decided it was time to go through all the memorabilia in the hopes of downsizing to a smaller bin. 

What I discovered is I mostly had been holding onto items I no longer had any attachment to. (Seriously, is there any point in holding onto a keepsake if you no longer remember ever having it?) And I easily fit the few items I still care about in my small cedar chest, freeing up shelf space for stuff that had been sitting on the storage room floor. 

My next chore is to go through two bins of computer related items (keyboards, software boxes, floppy discs, cords) we haven't touched in probably 10 years. I have a strong feeling nothing will be saved and I'll be left with two empty storage bins and a big smile on my face :)


1 comment:

Rita said...

Ain't that the truth!! LOLOL!
Feels so good, doesn't it?