May 2018

May 2018

Friday, July 25, 2014

Back Pain and Tramadol

One of the four numbers on my blood test that measures liver function was elevated. Since I don't drink or smoke, the doctor suspects the cause is the one Aleve I take every morning for arthritis, especially since I seldom take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Therefore, for the next three months, before a follow-up blood test, I'm to refrain from using any OTC painkillers.

That might be a challenge during normal circumstances, but with my current back pain it's torture. So, to get me through the next few weeks, the doctor prescribed Tramadol, which I've been taking morning and night for the last three days. And sleeping nearly round the clock!

This morning I decided I can't keep sleeping the day away. And, since the doc said my one elevated number is not a serious concern, if the pain gets unbearable, I won't hesitate to take an Ibuprofen. Especially since a little research this morning revealed Tramadol can be addictive with some serious side effects.

Besides my back pain is noticeably better every day. And the doctor confirmed what I found online that it should be healed in 2-3 weeks. Therefore, this time next week I should be nearly, if not completely, pain free. Here's hoping.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Tramadol is like taking aspirin for me--does nothing. But then neither does ibuprofen or Aleve or any of the over the counter medications...so I have just suffered through the constant pain for years since they took the only pain pill I could tolerate off the market (not because it didn't work but because it had been around for decades and was cheap--so they could substitute for something expensive that has more side effects and doesn't work for me). At least my liver should be appreciative--LOL! I think it was from the years of high doses of Ibuprofen and such the doctors had me on for my arm injury that made me kind of immune to the effects and prone to acid reflux--LOL! It's always something, I guess.

I hope your back will be much better soon and you won't need anything at all and feel fine!! :):)