May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

As Different As Day Is To Night

I have two grandsons. Elliott will be eight on Valentine's day; Jonah will be four on March 13. Elliott is respectful of his elders and freely shows his appreciation for everything I and his papa do. Jonah is a completely different story.

Jonah has a "smart" mouth and attitude I've never seen in a preschooler. When he's in a good frame of mind, we have a great time. And I like that he often asks to do art and craft projects. But, like Jekyll and Hyde, he can change without warning and become a "devil" child. At those times, I feel as if I'm being emotionally abused by a three year old!

For the most part, Jonah and I had a good day yesterday and a nice lunch out at St. Louis Bread Company. He also went down for a nap with no problem. But then things went badly very quickly. After sleeping nearly 90 minutes, Jonah woke up mad and screaming. From what I could decipher, the problem was he was still tired but his blanket wouldn't stay put. The hysterics continued for a solid hour and, every time I tried to help, it got worse.

I have no patience for implementing a "time out" which always includes several minutes of major screaming and crying. Fortunately, my daughter is much better at this form of discipline. After picking up Jonah yesterday, she put him in three "time outs" within one hour!

Because it was such a rough end of day yesterday, I'm now closer to thinking Jonah needs to go to preschool full time next school year. At minimum, I'm ready for just one "Grandma Day" a week, which is what Elliott did his last year of preschool. It help him transition to full-time Kindergarten the next year, which would also be good for Jonah who hates school.

I'm going to give it a little more time and thought. But, odds are, I will have more time for chores, workouts, and hobbies next school year, which sounds wonderful!



No comments: