May 2018

May 2018

Monday, December 30, 2013

Fun Weekend

We took a quick trip to Chicago over the weekend. We left Saturday morning and drove straight to the Museum of Science and Industry. It's just over six hours from St. Louis if you include a lunch break.

I mainly wanted to see MSI's exhibit of Christmas trees from around the world. But the special exhibit, Treasures of Walt Disney Archives, I chose, that was included with our general admission, turned out to be much more fun.

The 45-Foot Grand Tree.
I'm assuming this year's Grand Tree had a Disney theme
because of the special Disney exhibit.
A small sampling of the 50+ trees on exhibit.
There were photo opportunities at every turn!
See the Mickey ears behind the trees?
This prop was used in the filming
of Sleeping Beauty, my favorite
childhood fairytale and film.
The real Zorro costume!
I was a big fan of the TV show.
This castle created with Lego bricks
is a work in progress.
Tom Hanks wore this tuxedo in the
current film, Saving Mr. Banks.
This is the prop used at the beginning
of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,
my daughter's favorite fairytale.
The carpet bag from Mary Poppins!
Part of the Treasures of Walt Disney Archives exhibit
was the opportunity to participate in the Disney
Animation Academy. I'm quite proud of my Minnie.

After our afternoon at the museum, we met my sister and her family for dinner. She has four adult children and they were all able to join us. It was a great visit.

On Sunday we shopped IKEA before heading home. I'd heard so much about IKEA from friends, relatives, and YouTube crafters that I was eager to experience it for myself. I was not disappointed and am definitely an IKEA fan now. It'll be so nice to have one closer, in St. Louis, in 2015.

It was definitely an enjoyable weekend – fun activities and a nice little getaway.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Wow! That looks like a fun trip. I used to love road trips across country...with company or without. Just loved them.

Dagan and Leah got me loving IKEA. I've never actually been to one because the closest one is in Minneapolis (about 225 miles away), but I LOVE the things they have brought back for me. They told me the one in Mpls is huge!

Your Minnie is wonderful!!
Happy New Year!!!!! :):)