May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Things Are Going So Well

Last Saturday, my brother organized a memorial mass for mom at his church, and lunch after at his home. It all went really well. It was respectful without being overdone, which my brother has a tendency to do. I especially enjoyed seeing all my nieces and nephews and their spouses and children. The entire affair felt more celebratory than sad. There was very little crying.

It's an odd thing to lose someone to Alzheimer's Disease. It's as if the family's been fighting the AD monster for over a decade and we're happy it's finally gone. Truth is, mom left us years ago when AD began damaging her brain. The disease ran it's complete course and mom was just a shell when she passed.

I suppose someday mom's death might "hit me" and I'll feel sad. But right now, I'm just glad to be rid of the AD monster and happy mom is no longer suffering.

Dad is doing well, also. On Monday, he took steps toward getting his passport. If he can work out the details, he hopes to go on a trip Thanksgiving week. It's a bus trip to New Orleans where the group boards a cruise ship. And there's a good chance dad's sister will join him, which would be wonderful.

I hope dad does get to travel this November. But, if not, he's already looking into other trips. I'm absolutely thrilled he's ready to enjoy life without quilt and worry about mom. And, best of all, he's doing so without delay. Wise move for an 83-year-old!


1 comment:

Rita said...

I'm glad the service went well. It's like you all had to say goodbye to her a long time ago really. But I am so very glad that your dad is planning to travel now while he can! That is just wonderful!! I hope his sister can go with him.